Quick Update. We are receiving calls and emails from the City of Hillsboro Water Department asking our family to pay money and enter information. The contacts are coming from what appears to be the City of Hillsboro phone number! It appears the data base has been compromised: SCAM CALLS AND EMAILS.
We called the City with no response. There is a message at the City Water Department Website conforming this is a scam!!!
From the City Water Department Website:
CUSTOMER ALERT November 15, 2023: Fraudulent Phone Call Scam
The City of Hillsboro Water Department is advising customers to be aware of a fraudulent phone scam to both landlines and cell phones in which individuals posing as City drinking water or utility billing officials attempt to collect or extort money.
While these phone calls appear to come from Hillsboro Water’s main administrative phone number of 503-615-6702, Hillsboro Water has not initiated these calls. The scammers have used this spoofed number to call customers.
We encourage customers of Hillsboro Water to be alert for potential phone scams against themselves and their family members, which may include the following warning signs:
- Demanding that a City utility bill payment or late fee be paid without giving customers the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
- Being told you have won a prize or sweepstakes, and need to take steps to receive it, such as sending money for taxes and insurance before receiving the prize.
- Being asked to provide or to confirm your Social Security number, bank account or credit card numbers, or other personal or financial information.
- Use of scare tactics, such as claiming your loved one is in danger, or that you may be arrested if you do not take immediate action.
- Asking you to pay using money transfers, cryptocurrency, or gift cards.
- Pressure to act immediately.
- Promises to recover money you have lost in other scams, for a fee.
Those who receive these calls are encouraged to report them to the Federal Trade Commission at:
Fraud can also be reported online to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for law enforcement action.
In addition, please be cautious about providing any personal information (names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security Numbers) to anyone who calls or emails you because it could result in identity theft.
Additional tips to ensure your security and safety:
- Never trust the caller ID number; the displayed telephone number can be manipulated with software.
- Always consider sending unsolicited phone calls to voicemail. Many scam call centers will not leave a message.
- Never click on links contained in unsolicited emails or text messages. The links may route you to fake websites or deploy malicious software.
- Protect your personal and financial information. Never provide this information in response to unsolicited text messages, emails or social media posts claiming to be a government agency.
Hillsboro’s drinking water remains safe to drink and use.
If you have additional questions, please contact Hillsboro Water directly at:
- Phone: 503-615-6700
- Email Hillsboro Water
- Visit: 150 E Main Street, Third Floor, Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Hillsboro Water provides water emergency response 24 hours a day. Report a leak, main break, or emergency service problem.
Business Hours Emergencies: 503-615-6702
After-Hours Emergencies (Pager): 503-615-6775 (enter your phone number – including your area code – for a call back)